The Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB) is a creative, lively and diverse place for conducting research and teaching. Scientists from a whole range of disciplines work under one roof at our Berlin and Neuglobsow sites. Hydrologists, chemists, physicists, microbiologists, limnologists, fish ecologists and fisheries biologists from all over the world investigate the fundamental processes governing rivers, lakes and wetlands, and join forces to develop measures conductive to sustainable water management.
International IGB Fellowship Programme ‚Freshwater Science‘
IGB invites excellent scientists from all countries and at different career stages to apply for a research visit at IGB. IGB offer fellowships for PhD students, postdocs and senior scientists for 6-24 months. These fellowships are designed to enable outstanding scientists to contribute to research at IGB and thus further their own scientific development or training. Scientists currently residing in Germany are not eligible to apply.
Twice a year we offer fellowships to PhD students, postdocs and senior scientists for 6-24 months. IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes. Fellowships are offered in three funding lines:
- Guest PhD Fellowships: for doctoral students currently carrying out a PhD project at another institution. These fellowships are meant to enable short-term research visits at IGB to PhD students enrolled in a PhD programme elsewhere; they do not cover a full three-year doctoral thesis.
- Postdoc Fellowships: full support for postdoctoral researchers to carry out full-time research at IGB for up to two years
- Senior Fellowships: for scientists who generally lead a research group at their home institution to obtain funding for an extended visit at IGB (e.g., during a sabbatical leave)
It is generally possible to split the granted number of months in more than one visiting period at IGB. Please discuss with your host if this option is suitable for your planned project.
Criteria and first contact
The type of fellowship applicable to your career stage depends on your qualifications at the intended starting date. Applicants must hold a Master degree or equivalent (PhD fellowships) or a doctoral degree (postdocs and senior scientists) in one of the research areas at IGB. Before submitting an application, please contact your potential host and develop a research programme in accordance with your host group. The following links may help to identify the best potential host to pursue your ideas.
- Ecosystem Research
- Experimental Limnology
- Biology and Ecology of Fishes
- Ecophysiology and Aquaculture
- Analytical Chemistry and Biogeochemistry
Applicants currently residing in Germany are not eligible to the fellowship programme. Please, contact your potential host at IGB to discuss alternative funding opportunities for your planned research.
Checklist for required documents
- your CV, including a complete list of publications
- certificates of your Master degree or equivalent, or of your doctoral degree, respectively
- a letter indicating your research interests and experience (max. 1 page)
- your proposed research programme at IGB (max. 1 page), including potential research host(s) and time line
- two letters of recommendation to be (a) uploaded by the applicant to our application platform or (b) sent by the reference contact directly to Dr. Ina Severin (firstname.lastname@example.org, cc to email@example.com)
Deadlines for the application are June 1 and December 1 of each year. Please apply electronically in English by using our online application platform.
IGB is determined to increase the proportion of women in science and particularly encourages female scientists to apply. Disabled persons with equal qualifications will be favoured.
Selection process and notification
The selection of the fellowship awards is competitive. The following evaluation criteria apply:
- scientific record and potential to conduct the proposed research
- full support of the potential host contacted before
- quality and novelty of the research proposal
- complementary integration into ongoing research activities at IGB
The selection committee is composed of the director, the department heads, the speakers of IGB’s cross-cutting research domains and IGB’s equal opportunity commissioner. The director will notify the awardees no later than eight weeks after the application deadline. Research projects can start in agreement with the respective host at any time but no later than six months after notification. Candidates that have not been accepted can resubmit a revised application within one of the following application rounds. Consultation with the potential host is strongly recommended if this option is envisioned.
The fellowships provide resources to cover basic living expenses. They amount to 1,365 €/month at the doctoral level, 1,828 €/month at the postdoctoral level, and 2,600 €/month at the senior scientist level. In addition, some funds can be provided for consumables and travel allowances. The fellowships do not include health insurance, which is mandatory in Germany, nor contributions to pension schemes. Fellowships can normally only be granted if no other income is received during the fellowship period by employments elsewhere.
Ina Severin - Research assistant director
Picture credit: David Ausserhofer/IGB