As part of YPARD’s ongoing partnership with Farming First – we are looking for this month’s young contributor who will be featured on Farming First’s popular blog, which receives thousands of visitors each month!
This month’s topic: Water!
This month, in the lead up to World Water Week, we are calling for young writers’ contribution for August on the topic: “The water, energy and food security nexus”. Water, energy and food security issues are often dealt with independently, but they need to be seen as interdependent. For example: it takes 1300 litres of water to make 1kg of wheat.
- Do you work on a project that is already tackling this issue?
- Do you know about any innovative approaches that are making an impact?
- What do you think should be done?
We want to hear from you!
How do I contribute?
Before being pre-selected, candidates (up to 40 years old) are asked to submit a short synopsis of their proposed article, by 11th August, 2014. This should include a title for your piece and three supporting arguments/points that will outline the scope of your blog. This synopsis should be up to 300 words.
The selected Youth Guest will then submit their article by August 20th. We will be expecting:
- 600-800 words
- Write in a conversational style for a non-specialist audience
- Any statistics, facts and quotes must be referred and/or hyperlinked to the original source
- Include case studies for a personal touch
- Embed links to further information on projects and programs covered
- Propose a short and catchy title; prefer short paragraphs and sentences to long ones
- Do mention your full name, position and affiliation with YPARD
- Feel free to include photos with your blog, or a video/presentation/poster
- Credit all pictures - either taken by you or from someone else, and make sure photos are Creative Commons
- Blogs should be written in English
Read our featured YPARD blog for June to give you an idea of the style and depth we are looking for: Why Indonesia’s Farmers are Getting Younger
- The water energy food nexus (FAO concept note)
- The water food energy nexus (Guardian online debate)
- The water food energy nexus (video)
Farming First and YPARD will jointly select the writer who will submit the blog. Farming First will make the final edition. Selection criteria will include:
- How inspiring and compelling your story is
- How concrete your message and examples are
Please send your expression of interest to Liz Sharma (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11th August, 2014. The selected candidate will be notified on 13th August and the blog post should be submitted by 20th August.
Picture credit: Water droplet, by Danist Soh.