1. ABOUT CTA
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is a joint international institution of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the European Union (EU). Its mission is to advance food and nutritional security, increase prosperity and encourage sound natural resource management in ACP countries.
It facilitates access to information and knowledge; supports evidence-based, multi-stakeholder development of agricultural policies and strategies; promotes inclusive value chain development and use of ICTs and strengthens the capacities of agricultural and rural development institutions and communities.
2. BACKGROUND AND MAIN PURPOSE OF THE INTERNSHIP
The 2013 ITU report on measuring the information society shows that mobile technology and services continue to be the key driver of the information society with the number of mobile broadband subscriptions close to 2 billion. The report, however, stated that ICT uptake remains limited in many developing countries, and particularly in the world's least connected countries (LCCs). Experiences from the 2013 ICT4Ag International Conference organized by CTA and its partners support this finding.
The conference revealed the huge untapped potential of the new technologies for agriculture. It also showed the speed at which the ICT applications for agriculture are being developed to address informational issues along the agricultural value chain. However, the uptake of the applications by millions of smallholder farmers, pastoralists, fishers, forest dwellers, intermediaries, etc. remains very low.
CTA therefore intends to build viable delivery models of ICTs for agriculture by facilitating access to thriving ICT solutions and thereby increasing uptake of the solutions by African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) stakeholders. This new project involves among others i) identifying and collating existing ICT4Ag solutions and mapping them along the agricultural value chain for easy retrieval by users, and also to inform strategies for developing new apps, and ii) developing a framework to assess the usability and functionalities of the applications for value chain development; and iii) supporting the deployment of viable delivery models of ICT4Ag across ACP, and building capacity of users for uptake and scale.
The Intern will work within the framework of the Polices, Markets and ICTs (PMI) Programme. Under the guidance and supervision of the project team leader (acting as mentor) and in collaboration with the ICT4Ag and KM (Knowledge Management) teams, the intern will carry out the following activities:
- Assist with the development of an "Apps4Ag Database" through research to identify and supplement the existing ICT4Ag solution by CTA.
- Support smooth communication with ICT solution developers and implementers to keep the database up-to-date.
- Support the processes involved in developing a framework for assessing the ICT solutions for agriculture.
- Help build and sustain a vibrant community of practice (CoP) around the database and the framework.
- Support initiatives aimed at increasing direct uptake of ICT solutions for agriculture in ACP through viable delivery models.
- Contribute to the processes leading to the roll-out of the "Apps4Ag Learning Opportunities".
- Assist in gathering and processing data for M&E purposes and for assessing project impact.
- Contribute to the analysis of the results of M&E assessment.
- Ensure visibility of project activities via social media.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the mentor.
4. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Recent graduate, 22-29 years old maximum.
- National of one of the ACP or EU States signatory to the Cotonou Agreement (79 African, Caribbean and Pacific States - and the European Union Member States).
- University degree in ICT or communication-related disciplines.
- Experience and keen interest in the area of ICTs including mobile applications for agricultural development.
- Knowledge in designing and administering online surveys via SurveyMonkey is welcome.
- Expertise in databases development and maintenance (design experience, adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, and database integration skills) would be useful.
- Knowledge in managing CMS (Joomla) would be an asset.
- Good organization, inter-personal and communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of one of the Centre's two working languages (French or English) and a satisfactory knowledge of the other.
- Participation in CTA activities will give you an invaluable experience at international level.
- Internship stipend (€ 800 per month for holder of a Bachelor's degree, € 1,000 for holder of a Master's degree).
- Payment of travel costs when joining and leaving the Centre.
- Medical coverage for emergency cases of sickness and accident during the internship.
6. HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are required to send the documents listed below via email to Pascal Deleu, Human Resources Officer. Email: email@example.com
Please indicate in the "Subject" of the email the title 'ICT4Ag Building Viable Delivery Models Internship Application'.
- A letter of motivation (maximum one page explaining why you qualify for this position and what you expect to gain from the internship. The date of earliest availability should be specified as well);
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, preferably EUROPASS format;
- Copies of the highest diploma/degree as well as training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to be presented once you are selected.
- Two letters of recommendation and/or references.
Deadline for applications: 30 July 2014. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.