The ICDD is an interdisciplinary and international scientific network of excellence with the head office located at the University of Kassel (Germany) and partner universities in Latin America, Africa and Asia. It co-operates closely with the International Labour Organization (ILO) and various NGOs. The ICDD is funded by the programme “ex)/(ceed – Higher Education Excellence in Development Cooperation” launched by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). In the framework of its Graduate School of Socio-Ecological Research for Development, the ICDD invites students from ODA recipient countries to apply for a PhD scholarship position in a particular academic field at an ICDD partner university:
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Unicamp), Brazil, in economics,
- University of Cape Coast (UCC), Ghana, in development studies
- Egerton University (EGU), Kenya, in agricultural science,
- University of Agriculture Faisalabad (UAF), Pakistan, in agricultural science,
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), India, in labour studies.
In light of its aim to promote gender equity in academia, the ICDD encourages women in particular to apply.