The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Deputy Director General, Research for Development.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The Deputy Director General-Research will be expected to develop research strategies that will support the achievement of development results, a process better known in the institution as Research for Development, and ensure appropriate implementation of those strategies. S/he will ensure that IITA’s work not only enlarges global understanding of the problems and potentials faced by Africa’s poor farmers, but also results in better nourished consumers, more profitable smallholder farm operations, and a more competitive and sustainable agricultural sector.
The DDG-Research will work closely with IITA’s Director General to reach out to reach out to potential funders and partners who share IITA’s commitment to research that nourishes Africa.
The tasks will include the following:
- Lead and guide the R4D Directorate, providing oversight on performance, budget preparation and execution, and achievement/communication of results.
- Provide strategic research leadership to ensure that IITA achieves its goals, uses its resources effectively and contributes to the broader goals of the CGIAR.
- Initiate and lead major strategic research as assigned by the DG.
- Coordinate regional hub directors and the IITA program managers for the CGIAR Research Programs.
- Strategic management of competencies of R4D and integrate them in relevant CRPs.
- Strategic oversight of Data Information and Management Unit.
- Serve as a member of IITA’s senior management team, contributing to research policy development, action planning, corporate performance, and communications efforts.
- Collaborate closely with the Deputy Director General of Partnerships for Delivery to identify appropriate partners and resources, develop proposals, and resolve partnership/resource issues arising during implementation.
- Contribute at a strategic level to proposal development and resource mobilization.
- Enhance the visibility of IITA in the global research community.
- Assist with external liaison, including with CGIAR funders, the CGIAR, and other Centers, SubRegional Organizations, NARS, NGO, and other partners
The candidate should have a PhD degree in plant breeding, biotechnology or other research areas related to genetic improvement such as plant and soil health.
- At least 15 years of experience in research and 5 years in research for development management with increasing responsibilities.
- Demonstrated excellence as a researcher in genetic improvement, biotechnology, plant protection or related research area.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa and good contacts with key funders or partners of IITA is preferred.
- Strong English language skills (knowledge of French or Portuguese is also an advantage).
The contract will be for a period of three years based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars. Applications: Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head of Human Resources. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/careers
Closing Date: 20th December 2016
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in the workforce, therefore female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.