Interpeace is a Swiss non-profit organization that works in close partnership with national partner organizations and the UN. Its aim is to strengthen the capacities of societies to manage conflict in non-violent, non-coercive ways by assisting national actors in their efforts to develop social and political cohesion. Interpeace also strives to assist the international community (and in particular the United Nations) to play a more effective role in supporting peacebuilding efforts around the world through better understanding and response to the challenges of creating local capacities that enhance social and political cohesion.
Interpeace is supported by bilateral and multilateral donors as well as private funding. The organization is currently active in Africa, Central America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia
About the position
This position in based in Guatemala. This role reports to the Global Communications Manager, and is responsible for the online presence of Interpeace. As part of the role s/he will ensure that communications and messages across all digital channels are consistent and speak with one voice.
The Digital Communications Officer is a member of the Global Engagement Unit, which is based in Guatemala and Geneva, and combines communications, external relations and engagement. S/he is a member of Interpeace’s Global Communications and Engagement Team that brings together communication and engagement officers from Interpeace’s offices around the world.
- Responsible for Interpeace website and social media including content development, design changes, etc.
- Interpeace Website: Oversee the maintenance, updates and continuous improvement of the Interpeace websites, and ensure a consistent digital profile across sites and channels (interpeace.org; interpeace.se; regional Interpeace websites; ipat-interpeace.org; peacetalks.net; etc). Tasks will include working closely with the webmaster– considering new ideas, evaluating and then implementing if necessary; staying abreast of trends in this sector; constantly considering how to best position and amplify content; updating user guide and keeping team abreast of skills needed to keep website consistent.
- Social media: Implement the social media strategy; continue to develop and implement the organizations presence on social media; develop other initiatives as appropriate; train colleagues and partners on the use of social media.
- Monitoring: Using different data sources (Google Analytics, Meltwater and other monitoring tools), create monthly reports on performance on social media channels to be shared with the Global Communications and Engagement Team and with the Strategic Management Team.
- Newsletter: Develop a concept for a refreshed Interpeace newsletter that is in line with the thought leadership strategy of the organization; regularly distribute the content to the institutional mailing list; contribute to constantly updating the contact management database.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required (preferably in journalism, communications, or a related field)
- Excellent English skills required
- Experience contributing to organizational social media accounts
- A minimum of 1-3 years of experience is required
- Significant experience in planning and developing materials for websites and social media
- Experience using design programmes, including InDesign/Photoshop/other graphics packages
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to write, proofread and edit documents
- Ability to work with websites using CMS (Word Press) and experience in HTML coding
- Passion for digital communications and online engagement
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience of using email marketing tools (Mail Chimp)
- A good understanding of international peace and security issues
- Experience of using digital technologies in innovative ways
- Flexibility, ability to multitask, prioritize and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
More information at Interpeace website