Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards a Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980. MIF has started receiving application for “2017 Research Fellowship Program”
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be 49 years old or under. Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
- Applicants should not have been in Japan in the past and/or in the present.
- Applicants should have firm positions and professions in their home countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their fellowship stay by MIF.
- Applicants must be of sound health and not physically handicapped in any way which would not prevent from carrying out research in Japan.
Field of study
Fields of study such as natural science, engineering and medicine are given first priority.
Period and number of fellowships
Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 months to 6 months, and the commencing month and ending month between April 2017 to March 2018. (e.g. 5 months from June 2017 to October 2017) MIF plans to invite about 20 persons.
Host Institution in Japan:
Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry)
Stipend for research and stay, Insurance, Air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo) and Lump sum on arrival
More information at Matsumae International Foundation research fellowship program 217 announcement