The United Nations University Office of the Rector recruits highly qualified applicants to work as Junior Fellows at the UNU headquarters in Tokyo. Junior Fellows are recruited through a competitive application process twice per year. Graduate students interested in the work of the United Nations — and in particular, UNU — are encouraged to apply.
The underlying principles of the Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector are centred on creating a dynamic, challenging and rewarding experience for graduate level students and young professionals. Successful candidates will contribute to the work of the Office of the Rector, the United Nations University, and the UN system as a whole. The programme provides opportunities for the development of new skills and knowledge and is a unique and constructive setting for the practical application of capacities acquired through graduate studies.
The qualifications that are considered in each application process include, but are not limited to, the following. The candidate:
- is currently pursuing or has recently completed postgraduate studies (master’s or doctoral), preferably in a field related to the University’s work
- is under 32 years of age at the time of application
- must not have more than 5 years of work experience in their related field
- has a native or near fluent command of written and spoken English
- has excellent research, writing and analytical skills
- can establish and maintain effective working relations with people from diverse backgrounds
- demonstrates resourcefulness and creativity in problem-solving
- has advanced computer skills: sound, hands-on, knowledge of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc.)
- has a demonstrated interest in the work of the United Nations and more specifically, in the work of the United Nations University.
The deadline for this application is 25th October, 2015.