Deadline: on a rolling basis
Open to: applicants with a Diploma or Master’s or equivalent degree in biology, biochemistry, biophysics, bioinformatics, bio-engineering and medical biology or related fields
Scholarships: during the first three months, a tax-free scholarship of EUR 1,468/month is paid, after that, students receive a contract of employment
The aim of the Cologne Graduate School of Ageing Research is to provide comprehensive training in the field of ageing research. They offer a unique curriculum with emphasis on basic scientific logic, critical thinking, but centred on the exciting current research into the biology of ageing and age-related diseases.
The Graduate school offers an international research environment and is characterized by outstanding ageing research, excellent supervision, early independence in research and state-of-the-art facilities. They are dedicated to providing first-class conditions for young scientists in a highly attractive and inspiring environment and the competitive Ph.D. programme provides a world-class starting platform for a successful career in science.
During the Introductory Module in October, participating PIs will present their research work and proposed PhD project. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to visit each laboratory and meet group members. This will be followed by three laboratory rotations of one week each. After that the lab and suitable PhD project are mutually agreed upon by the PhD student and PI.
- Applications from all countries;
- The interdisciplinary faculty offers positions in the areas of biology, biochemistry, biophysics, bioinformatics, bio-engineering and medical biology. Applicants with a Diploma or Master’s or equivalent degree of those or related fields are eligible to apply;
- Also accept will be applicants with a degree in medicine provided they have sufficient relevant research experience;
- Candidates must be fluent in written and spoken English.
- All PhD students in the Graduate School receive financial support for a period of 3 years.
- During the first three months, a tax-free scholarship of EUR 1,468/month is paid, after that, students receive a contract of employment;
- Payment is based on the German TVL-13 scale (65%) if terms and conditions under collective bargaining law are fulfilled or on the support contract of the Max Planck Society (Promotionsfördervertrag, sui generis). If the PhD project should not be finished within 3 years, the PI will finance the student for at least 1 more year under the same conditions.
How to apply?
The online application platform for the fellowships starting October 2017 will open in fall 2016.
Advance Your Career with a Doctoral Degree from the Cologne Graduate School of Ageing Research.
Picture credit: mladiinfo