The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Capacity Development Associate who will be a member of the Capacity Development team based at the ILRI campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Key duties & responsibilities
The assignment “Capacity Development Associate for the Small Ruminant’s value chain in Ethiopia” involves working closely with ICARDA’s value chain coordinator in Ethiopia and ILRI’s Global Capacity Development Specialist based in Kenya, research leaders and research-for-development partners to promote LAF activities (‘more milk, meat and fish, by and for the poor’) through a range of capacity development activities, including:
- Supporting the mapping, identification and assessment of potential capacity development service providers at the national and local level to co-deliver activities to strengthen innovation (uptake) capacities, and to encourage small and medium sized enterprise development;
- Refining (organizational) Capacity assessment methodology, piloting and conducting assessments with key partner organizations in five (5) Ethiopian regions, leading to the design of sustainable capacity development strategies and the creation of (learning, training) interventions based on in-depth training needs assessments methodologies;
- Following up and assisting in the development of a gender capacity development strategy including for (and with) specific organizations;
- Supporting the implementation of multi stakeholder platforms, including support in setting up and facilitation and documentation of progress of such platforms, and contribution to related research activities.
- Supports the program researchers with the identification of capacity development service providers, conduct of capacity assessment and developing of capacity development strategies and activities;
- Works with Capacity Development, Gender Specialists and program scientists to develop and apply tools and methods for an ongoing assessment of program capacity development needs, as well as the impact of capacity development interventions on the overall program objectives;
- Helps to develop in-depth training needs assessments methodologies, prepare blended-learning training materials based on proven adult learning techniques (including ADDIE, Rapid Course Development, and Adult Learning Theory), using appropriate design, content and technologies adapted to the context of actors in the five project sites;
- Supports partners in setting up and facilitating multiple stakeholder platforms, as well as in the delivery of materials as needed (including assistance in coordinating and organizing training sessions, and delivering training programs as needed);
- Contributes to research activities around capacity development topics;
- Develops partnerships with selected capacity development actors to achieve the program objectives;
- Supports the development, testing and monitoring of sustainable capacity development strategies for various regions where LAF operates;
- Helps document and disseminate learning insights gained, and develops “stories from the field” for communication and outreach purposes and contributes to preparation of research reports, briefs and other products/materials for website content and publication;
- Any other related task as assigned by the ICARDA’s value chain coordinator in Ethiopia and ILRI’s Global Capacity Development Specialist based in Kenya.
Position Level, Location and Terms of appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) for a fixed term one year contract period, with the possibility of extension. The position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. There will be a brief induction period at ILRI’s headquarters in Nairobi prior to taking up the post at the duty station. In addition, level 3B, minimum base salary will be Birr 34,128 (Negotiable, depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate). ILRI offers medical insurance for staff and dependents, life insurance, pension at 12.5% employer’s contribution, annual holiday entitlement of 30 days+ public holidays within ILRI’s National Recruited Staff Scheme.
Qualifications/Skills and Competence
- Advanced degree or Master’s degree in Organizational Development, Sustainable Development, Gender, Social Development or other relevant field or a relevant first degree plus a relevant post graduate professional qualification in organizational development, institutional change, rural development, sustainable development;
- At least five years of experience conducting capacity assessments with and for organizations in developing countries, designing strategies, and undertaking Capacity Development initiatives, especially training oriented;
- Proven knowledge about different training methodologies and tools; she/he has experience with facilitating trainings at the national and local levels and has experience with adult learning, engagement skills, curriculum development competences;
- A proven skill-set in the development of learning courses, dissemination of learning products, training and technical assistance materials, needs assessments, and other capacity development products;
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- Experience as trainer-facilitator; strong facilitation and presentation skills;
- Familiarity with rural agricultural value chain development and approaches, preferably on livestock production in developing countries;
- Excellent judgment, strategic thinking and the ability to manage risk and competing priorities and meet deadlines;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and/or publication experience a plus.
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae.
The position and reference number: REF: A/059/14 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com