The UNV Strategic Framework 2014-2017 advocates for the effective enhancement of the capacity of UNV Field Units based at the country level with high quality programme advisory support through a regional office. The Strategic Framework informs the Global Programmes in the following focus areas: a) Access to Basic Services, b) Community resilience for environment and disaster risk reduction, c) peace building, d) Youth and national capacity building through volunteer schemes. Within the context of the UNV Strategic Framework and through the Global Programmes, the UNV Regional Offices are to provide high quality programmatic support and establish strategic partnerships at the regional level to promote volunteerism for peace and development in their respective regions.
Description of tasks:
Under the direct supervision of the UNV Regional Manager, who is the head of the UNV Regional Office, the UN Volunteer Regional Basic Social Services Specialist will:
- Keep abreast of development challenges and priorities on volunteering and Basic Social Services in general in countries within the region to identify relevant entry points at the UNV Field Units (FU) level for programming and partnerships;
- Provide support to FUs in developing the concept notes and project documents in line with the strategic quality criteria to be considered for funding under UNV global programmes;
- Develop consistent result frameworks and theories of change aligned to the UNV IRRM, the global programme documents and global projects for each priority area;
- Identify programmatic opportunities that maximise potential for volunteer mobilization as well as promotion of volunteerism in working closely with the FUs and the Portfolio Managers;
- Gather relevant information and analysis on regional trends on Basic Social Services in general and related volunteerism in particular as a basis to make substantive contributions to discussions, network, think tanks, etc. on Basic Social Services and volunteerism;
- Under the guidance of the Regional Manager, undertake a scoping exercise in conjunction with the UNV FUs to gather technical knowledge and evidence based results to inform emerging and ongoing initiatives on Basic Social Services in general and related volunteerism;
- From the Basic Social Services angle provide regional-level assessments, analysis and trends on how volunteering is an asset and noting the challenges to support regional Basic Social Services initiatives with regional and sub-regional bodies;
- Under the guidance of the Regional Manager provide substantive inputs to UNV Field Unit teams in their engagement with UN agencies through the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and Country Programme and other planning tools for forecasting of demand in their programmes;
- Undertake missions to support UNV Field Units in programme and project formulation on Basic Social Services in general and related volunteerism within the context of the national development plans, CCA and UNDAF processes.
- Undertake mapping exercises in order to identify the regional, sub-regional and national pipeline of projects of different UN agencies, including UN joint programmes;
- Under the guidance of the Regional Manager, participate in different forums and meetings on Basic Social Services issues, including the initiatives under the UN regional interagency thematic group on Basic Social Services.
- Integrated UNV knowledge and innovation in programme development;
- Provide inputs to the work plans and advisory services on Basic Social Services at the FU and Regional Office levels;
- Under the guidance of the Regional Manager, support effective result reporting on global and regional programmes and aggregate results to report progress against UNV IRRM and global programmes/grobal project result frameworks.
More information at International UN Volunteer Regional Basic Social Services Specialist