Office Head and Senior/Principal Researcher -- IWMI Office Head, New Delhi, India

The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a motivated and highly competent individual for the position of Office Head (New Delhi, India) and Senior/Principal Researcher. The selected candidate will lead and undertake high-quality research on water resources and agricultural water management as per their professional discipline and project requirements, and also represent the Institute and perform the duties as Head of the IWMI-New Delhi Office. The candidate will have to allocate approximately 30% of their time for administrative/management activities, and the remaining 70% for research implementation, developing outcomes and strategic leadership. Within IWMI’s matrix management structure, the selected candidate will have a dual reporting line to the respective theme leader on research, and to the Director, Asia, on developing outcomes, partner relations and overall office management.

Minimum Qualification & Experience

  • a PhD or equivalent and at least 10 years of experience in an area relevant to IWMI’s research portfolio (e.g., international development, water resources management, development economics, livelihoods, policy and institutions or similar), particularly in the Indian/Asian context;
  • at least 10 years of experience and conducting research, of which a minimum of 5 years must be at senior management level, in water and natural resources management in developing and emerging economies in Asia;

Skills & abilities

  • advanced written and oral communication skills, including the capacity to write donor-specific proposals, research reports and papers, and the ability to communicate research results to stakeholders at different management levels in multiple countries across the region;
  • strong strategic planning skills and the ability to develop strategic initiatives;
  • strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to establish, cultivate, influence and maintain effective networks and working relations with key stakeholders and partners (the government, donors, academic institutions, civil society and other key stakeholders); and
  • experience of living and working in developing countries in Asia, particularly in the Indian sub-continent.